Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cards One Ultimate Super Jumbo Pack Mixed Sport Edition


Like its slightly more dignified cousin, the plain ol' Cards One Ultimate Super Jumbo Pack, this is certain to be a heaping mess of cards that only the most devoted fan of early '90s failure could love. This was a Dollar Tree purchase from last month. Fun?


1990 Pro Set #75 - Cody Risien - The thing about Pro Set is that they made some really nice looking cards. They had access to the official NFL photo archives, after all. Unfortunately, they didn't know when to stop making cards. I worry that there is still some industrial sized printer in a dusty basement in some far corner of the country still cranking out 1990 Jeff George variations.


Ah, yes. Cards by the Pound. The best way to purchase cards.


1989-90 O-Pee-Chee #131 - Kelly Miller - I haven't heard of him. The Caps unis looked a lot like their present day NBA counterparts.


2001 Upper Deck #86 - Matt Kuchar Young Guns - I forgot that golf cards are a thing. Or, at least they were. Does anyone buy golf cards, post-Tiger Woods douchebaggery?


1991-92 O-Pee-Chee #8S - Jarmo Myllys Special Card - What kind of card number is 8S? Also, Jarmo's name is an auto-correct disaster. Is that the Dallas North Stars logo on Jarmo's collar?


 1991-92 O-Pee-Chee #8S - Jarmo Myllys Special Card - The card so nice they gave it to me twice!


1999-00 Upper Deck #76 - Stephon Marbury - Starbury! I really like the 2000 Upper Deck baseball design, so this works for me as well.


1991-92 O-Pee-Chee #92 - Eric Weinrich - Never heard of him.


1989-90 O-Pee-Chee #285 - Steve Weeks - Correct me if I'm wrong, but Vancouver's uniforms don't look a thing like this now, do they? Also, Steve has that creep thing going on.


1991 Pro Set #305 - David Wyman - Argh, more Pro Set. I don't think this card was actually in the package when I opened it. Pro Set cards have a nasty habit of multiplying when you're not paying attention.


2001 Upper Deck National Heroes #NH8 - Thomas Bjorn - Proud product of Denmark.


1992-93 Topps #290 - Doc Rivers - Father of new NBA rookie Austin Rivers.


1992 Studio #136 - Phil Plantier - Finally, a baseball card! Phil kind of looks like the Mumford & Sons singer in a sweet early '90s sweater thing.


2001 Upper Deck #69 - J.J. Henry Young Guns - And... back to golf.


1989-90 O-Pee-Chee #321 - Brian Leetch Calder Trophy - Here's the first hockey player of the pack that I've actually heard of.


1991 Bowman #577 - Greg Olson - 1991 Bowman is an ugly set with a really interesting player selection. I wouldn't mind breaking a box of it one day and I have no idea why.


1994 Topps #25 - Troy Drayton - Drayton missed the Tecmo Super Bowl cutoff by a few years, so I have no recollection of him.


 2001 Upper Deck #15 - Duffy Waldorf - I guess all of these golf cards are from the same set.


1992-93 NBA Hoops #396 - Sean Green - According to his field goal percentage, there's only a 39.2% chance this shot went in.


2001 Upper Deck #142 - Steve Stricker Victory March - Yet another design from this golf set. It's starting to look like there were more subset cards than actual base cards.


1992-93 Upper Deck #68 - Stacey Augmon 6 Million Point Man - Ah, Plastic Man! I am totally going to watch one of those YouTube highlights compilations of Augmon now.


2001 Upper Deck #134 - John Daly Defining Moments - Here's a golfer that everyone knows, even me! I might have to put this one on Listia for the hell of it.


1994 Pinnacle #56 - Henry Jones - This is begging for a caption contest.


1989 Bowman #172 - Don Slaught - The token irregularly shaped and obviously damaged card.


1989 Bowman #130 - Don August - And that card has a friend now.


1992-93 Upper Deck #87 - Blue Edwards - Dare I say... boom shaka laka?


1988 Fleer #585 - Tony Gwynn - It's a legitimately quality baseball card!


1991-92 Upper Deck #269 - Doug West - Now I want to play Tecmo Super NBA Basketball all of a sudden.


1990-91 Fleer #53 - Dan Schayes - Denver really needs to go back to the rainbow cityscape jerseys. Everything they've done since has been downright horrible.


1990-91 Fleer #45 - Herb Williams - I have this entire set that I collated by hand when I was in high school, thinking it was going to be worth like $200 some day. I was wrong. I should pawn it off on someone soon.


1991 Pro Set Platinum #109 - Guy McIntyre - The only problem with a "high end" Pro Set set is that it's still Pro Set. That means that there is at least one of these cards for every resident of China.


1991 Score #136 - Mark Davis - I don't know... what can you say about Mark Davis?


1991 Line Drive AAA #604 - Ryan Bowen - A damaged minor league baseball card puts an end to the misery of this most Ultimate of packs.

7 comments:

Jason T. Carter said...

You got that Risien in a Dollar Tree repack? That's not the easiest card to come by. There are a few copies on eBay right now, none of them cheap by junk wax standards.

JT, The Writer's Journey

buckstorecards said...

It is a long story as to why there were a lot of Minnesota North Stars guys on the early Sharks. Originally, the Stars owners were going to move the Stars to San Jose. When that was scuttled, they were instead granted an expansion team in the city. For the draft, they were granted the chance to grab a lot of players from Minnesota as opposed to other teams. (I'm way too tired right now to google the specifics).

So, you had some cards with just the Sharks logo plastered on to a player's card, and some where there were posed shots like this one:

http://buckstorecards.blogspot.ca/2012/09/mullets.html

night owl said...

If you're not attached to it (and I don't think you are), I'll take the Matt Kuchar golf card in our next trade. I've got a connection to him.

Zayden said...

Very Nice! My wife buys me these packs all the time. For only a buck, you can't go wrong. I have a couple blog posts about these and they usually never disappoint.

Justin McLeod said...

Ugh, Night Owl! Beat me to it!

madding said...

JT - Thanks for the tip on the Risien card. I knew the name was familiar for some reason, but my brain couldn't quite reach 1990 at the time.

Night Owl - The Kuchar card is yours. Who knew some golfer I've never heard of would be so in demand?

Hackenbush said...

I always though Phil Plantier had beamed down from the Starship Enterprise.