Wednesday, December 07, 2016

1995-96 Upper Deck Series 2 Basketball


I watched less basketball in the mid-'90s than any other point in my life that I can think of, so it's always fun to go back and look at cards from this era. This pack was a card show purchase from a few months back, done on the cheap. Upper Deck still used their old foil wrappers back then, which is a treat.


346 - Gary Payton Major Attractions - The first card in is from a subset called Major Attractions, where a guy from a TV show I've never watched (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper) shows off his favorite players.


360 - Antonio McDyess Slam & Jams - Another subset card, featuring a positively freaky '90s font. We'll have to wait a little longer before we get to see the base design.


312 - Chris King - And here it is. I believe that the Vancouver Grizzlies made their debut this season.


287 - Sherman Douglas - The backs of the cards feature a nearly full bleed color photo that's different from the front, but still manage to include up to 5 years worth of stats. I prefer full stats, but this isn't a bad compromise and Upper Deck always stuck to the 5 year plan.


243 - Luc Longley - Michael Jordan coasted on the back of Luc Longley for 3 of his championships. Look it up.


249 - Pervis Ellison - A good look at the old parquet floor at the Boston Garden, if I have the timing right. I think?


207 - Juwan Howard - Fab Five Alert!


203 - Armon Gilliam


284 - Eric Williams


321 - Shaquille O'Neal Team USA - Well, this pack started off strong (The Glove!) but sort of veered off into a ditch before this brought us back.

2 comments:

Billy Kingsley said...

You are correct, first year for the Grizzlies. The Eric Williams and Shaq cards are Electric Court parallels. This was the UD set available in stores when I discovered the NBA and I've got lots of good memories of it...but also one big regret. The only card I've ever had and traded away was a David Robinson Electric Court card.

Dion's IP Autos only said...

I forgot that they used the MJ crying meme on these packs oh wait that wasn't a thing then, But it looks close!