Tuesday, June 27, 2023

2022-23 Panini Donruss Basketball Value Pack

Greetings...

Hope everyone is doing well.  Once again, Ol' Jafronius is off with his timing, as the plan was to get this posted during the NBA Finals.  Instead, the Nuggets took care of business and had their parade already, and we're a few days past the NBA Draft.  Oh well, here's the pack:


30 cards for 7 bucks, which is tolerable for me.  Let's see what I got (spoilers - I wasn't disappointed):


#42 - Saddiq Bey
#99 - Jaylen Nowell
#57 - Grayson Allen
#15 - Jalen Brunson

Here's the base card design.  A little too much border for me.  The 3D effect (duplicating the Donruss Baseball design) contributes to the waste of space, but still looks alright.


#72 - Bam Adebayo
#29 - Lonzo Ball
#34 - Ayo Dosunmu
#91 - Michael Porter Jr.

A couple players from my hometown team here.  Ayo had a disappointing follow-up from his rookie campaign, but still has plenty of upside.  Lonzo though, may be done.


#49 - Myles Turner
#7 - Kyrie Irving
#65 - Gordon Hayward

I believe Kyrie's a free agent again.  Is he talented?  When healthy, yes.  Is he worth the risk?  I don't think so.

The next card was faced backwards and I didn't pay attention to the card back enough to notice what I picked up:


#SS-FRN - Frank Ntilikina (Signature Series)

Sure, it's not a big-time name.  It's not even a small-time name.  But he's played more NBA games than me.  Frank doesn't have a card in the base set, just in the Signature Series.  Still very cool to get an auto in a retail pack.


#167 - Doug McDermott (Holo Green Laser Parallel)
#19 - Dominique Wilkins (Bomb Squad)

The inserts portion continue with what I think is a Holo Green Laser Parallel.  As you all know Panini goes all out and then some with their parallels.  Great Bomb Squad insert of The Human Highlight Film.


#19 - Dalen Terry (Great X-Pectations Holo Pink Laser Parallel #10/50)

This is pretty nice in hand too.  The colors match the team colors, making the parallel even better.  A pack with both an autograph and a numbered parallel is an absolute winner in my book.


#177 - Max Strus
#200 - Bruce Brown
#158 - Tyus Jones
#116 - Stephen Curry

Back to the base cards.  Since I don't buy many packs, it's good to get base cards of the superstars.


#173 - Derrick White
#130 - Talen Horton-Tucker
#110 - Gary Payton II
#168 - Josh Richardson

There's 200 cards in the base set, with 50 additional rookies.  Here's the checklist for those interested.


#126 - Luke Kennard
#183 - Reggie Bullock
#140 - Harrison Barnes
#197 - Andre Drummond

I think I prefer the transaction note on Drummond's card to photoshopping.  If you want the player in the right uniform, wait until the Update set.


#216 - AJ Griffin (Rated Rookie)
#238 - E.J. Liddell (Rated Rookie)
#211 - Ousmane Dieng (Rated Rookie)

I'm not sure why Ousmane's head can bust into the border but his hand cannot.  Liddell's hand was able to though, and look what it cost him!

Here are the backs:


Anyway, that's the pack.  Easily the best one I've opened in a very long time.  Have a good week everyone, and thanks for reading!

No comments: