Sunday, August 19, 2012

2012 Topps Mars Attacks Heritage Hobby

I recently spent a week in Madison, WI which has two major card shops, Jim's Card Korner and The Baseball Card Shoppe.  In a perfect world, the clutter and great prices of Jim's and the organization and high prices of The Shoppe would combine to form the perfect Madison card shop.  While I was in Jim's, I bought five packs for $10 of Mars Attacks Heritage purely to try to get a sketch card.  I have more than two complete sets of the base and I'm working towards a green border set as well.  



Each pack comes with six cards, four of which are reprints of the original 1962 card set.  My pack only had three base reprints...hmmmm...I wonder what that means?


For the uninitiated each pack comes with one card from the Deleted Scenes insert set and one card from the New Universe insert set.  The Deleted Scenes cards were cards that proposed and abandoned from the original 1962 set.  From this pack I pulled my favorite new Mars Attacks card.  It's just so wonderfully gruesome and I am amazed that something like this was proposed originally.


The New Universe set highlights scenes from the new Mars Attacks comic book from IDW Publishing.  This particular card is reminiscent of the "Burning Cattle" card from the original set.  Perhaps this one should have been called "Burning Pachyderm" instead.


Three base cards = 1/1 sketch card!  This black and white ink sketch is by artist Mike Hampton.  This brings is the second sketch card I've pulled from a pack and overall it is my 11th overall through all my eBay pick ups.


2 comments:

Scott Crawford said...

Hook a brother up with some doubles!

Todd Uncommon said...

Ack ack ack, ack ack ack ACK ack ack. Ack ack, ack ack ack! ACK ACK ack ack--ack ack ACK!