Tuesday, February 19, 2019

1978 Fleer Jet Set Stickers


I have no idea how I happen to own a pack of 1978 Fleer Jet Set Stickers, other than to say this was in a box of other unopened packs of cards that I believe were sent to me by one of my Tribecards readers. So, to whomever sent this: Thank You!

There are supposedly 79 full-color stickers (according to the wrapper), which is a bit odd considering each card back has TWO stickers... Maybe one repeats or something.  The stickers themselves are SHINY foil and are presented as two per card, as mentioned a moment ago.

The top portion of each card features a slogan or saying, presumably related to the other sticker. The smaller sticker at the top measures roughly 1" x 2.5." The larger sticker shows a country's flag and measures about 2.5" x 2.5" square.




In addition to the stickers, this pack also includes a "Fleer Funny Post Card." The one here makes "Dad jokes" at the expense of the Eiffel Tower... Go figure.


I guess these types of puns were funnier back then. Or maybe I've just been cracking Dad jokes so long myself, this one seems old hat... You see what I did there, right?

Oh, there was still gum in pack as well. It was shattered into a bunch of pieces. Kinda scary to think that there is gum from the 50's, 60's, 70's and later still floating around out there in unopened packs of cards and stickers.

Anyway, here is something of a checklist:
https://www.beckett.com/non-sports/1978/jet-set-stickers

3 comments:

Fuji said...

Never seen or heard of these before, but I definitely want to add the Japan flag to my collection.

Bulldog said...

Pretty cool. I've never seen these cards before. Good post.

Jafronius said...

Confederate and Afro? Man, times sure have changed!