Sunday, May 09, 2021

2021 Panini Diamond Kings Baseball Hobby Pack

 Wow it's really hard to find card products, well at least retail.  I decided, against my better judgement, to pick up a hobby pack of Diamond Kings on a recent stop in to Don's Sportcards here in Anchorage, Alaska.  I had stopped in to pick up a few supplies.  I hesitated on buying just this one pack, because hobby prices are INSANE!!! This pack was over $10 bucks, so let's savor it since it's been awhile since we've had a pack on here.








Two hits per box, 12 packs per box, and 8 cards per pack.  We have a 1:6 chance of getting one of the hit's.  

Diamond Kings does have a great selection of old timey players, HOFers, retired and current players.  Let's have a look at the base design.


Panini has made Diamond Kings into an artsy fartsy offering with inserts to match.  Seems like a lot of real estate is taken up by the border.  Here's the back



The backs have a small blurb, but no stats, which is kind of disappointing.


 
Here are the rest of the base cards:
This pack had a couple rookies in it.


Cards numbered over 100 are short printed, or at least that's what they say.  I pulled not one, but two SPs in this pack.
 






Sadly I didn't get one of the hits, but did pull this Aficionado of the 2020 AL MVP





Not a great pack, but it's been months since I've opened anything and it was fun.  In year's past Diamond Kings has been a fun rip, but sadly the current state of the hobby really has over valued this product.






4 comments:

night owl said...

Yeah, no way am I spending 10 bucks for that.

That's at least the 3 straight year of that Alston picture and that's what annoys me the most about this set. But I do like the design this year. For some reason it helps with the consistency between the old-time players and the current ones, which is another problem this set has.

Bulldog said...

Thanks for sharing. Not holding out hopes to find any of these in the wild. Nice to get a good look at them.

Derek said...

I agree on the front - a lot of real estate for borders. On the back, that's a lot of space allocated for emptiness and also legal mumbo jumbo

Fuji said...

Thanks for sharing these on this blog, because I doubt I'll ever rip one of these packs. Well maybe one day in ten years if I walk into my LCS and they have packs of this stuff sitting in a clearance bin for a couple bucks.

And even then, I'm not the biggest fan of this year's design. Panini had a good run though, because I enjoyed DK the past five or six years. But maybe it's time they put this product on a rotation and release it once every four or five years.