Friday, August 09, 2024

2024 ABD Yuto Horigome Quickstrike

I'm guessing there aren't a lot of collectors interested in Japanese skateboarders, but that's okay.  This blog's agenda is to rip at least one pack of every card product ever made.  So here you go...

Let's kick things off with the skater featured in this product.  Yuto Horigome is a twenty-five year old skater from Japan who has won three gold medals at the X Games and two gold medals at the Olympics in street skating.

Last month, I discovered ABD Collectibles produced cards for him as well as other skaters.  Collectors can either purchase individual packs or full boxes on their site.  Boxes are available for $126.90, while each pack costs $12.69.  The advantage of buying a box is that you are guaranteed an autograph.

Since I really wanted Yuto's signature, I grabbed a box.  If you're interested in seeing the autograph I pulled, click here.

Alright... enough mumbo jumbo... let's check out the first pack of the box:


I really like the logo.  Reminds me of a package of Pop Rocks from the 80's.


According to the back of the pack wrapper, each pack contains only three cards: two collectible cards and one redemption card.


Card #1:

English Hollywood 16 Non-Foil

There are only three different cards in this product:  Hollywood 16, Portrait, & Franklin Switch Tail.  

However each card has four different versions:

#1:  English Non-Foil
#2:  English Foil
#3:  Japanese Non-Foil
#4:  Japanese Foil

Based on my personal box break, I think that each of these versions were printed in equal quantities.  There are hand numbered parallels that are randomly inserted into packs that are much rarer.  Unfortunately, I did not pull any of these in my box. 


Card #2:

English Hollywood 16 Foil

Based on my scans, it's hard to tell the difference between the non-foil and foil versions.  However they're very easy to tell apart in hand.  Here's a photo of the cards side by side:



Card #3:


The third card in the pack is advertised as a redemption card, but it's actually more of a contest card since not ever card is redeemable for something.

Collectors can check to see if they won, by scanning the QR code.  Unfortunately... I couldn't find any information on odds of winning.

Well that's it.  Three cards for $12.69 (+ tax).

What are your thoughts on a product like this?  There has to be at least one other card collector out there that's also a fan of Yuto, right?

Happy Friday and sayonara!

1 comment:

Brett Alan said...

Good call on the Pop Rocks comparison!