Monday, August 05, 2024

2024 Topps National Trading Card Day Baseball

 


You are looking at a pack of 2024 Topps Trading Card Day baseball cards. The cards come in a cello wrapper, revealing one of the included cards. These were released on August 3, 2024, as part of National Trading Card Day and available through select hobby shops for free to anyone who asked. As of the writing of the post, a final checklist had not been published by Topps (that I could find anyway). The showing card is Dansby Swanson:

The front of each card features the team insignia in the upper left corner. There is a thin gradient border along the top of the card. The player is shown, taking up much of the front of the card and has a diagonal white stripe pattern to the left side of the card. The second card is Javier Baez:


Along the lower right side, a diagonal set of lines in white and the team’s primary colors is displayed along with a team color and white border near the bottom. The player’s name sits on the left bottom and the “Topps Trading Card Day” appears in the lower right. Up next, Carlos Correa:


This is followed by Mike Trout:


And the last player card in the pack is Zack Gelof:


The final card in the pack (which also serves as filler to hide the last player card), is a "Join the Hobby!" card encouraging collectors to visit the Topps website and buy merch.


The back of the cards repeat the insignia in the upper left. The team and player name are at the top. Card numbers are shown in the upper right and are labeled as “NTCD-B##.” As there are various sport and non-sport versions, I presume the “B” is for baseball.

Below the player name is biographical information, and on some cards, a paragraph detailing fun facts about the player, and then statistical information. The bottom has the Topps logo and various copyright information.


I haven’t been able to visit a hobby shop in years, and didn’t even realize there was one in Little Rock until I searched the NTCD list for participating shops. My wife and I were in LR to help my daughter move apartments, so I grabbed the chance to drop in for a free pack! Now that I know central Arkansas has a shop, I’ll be visiting the place as I am able when we make trips in that direction. As I was going in, a couple presumably in their 30s was walking out with their free packs as was a guy about my age. The shop had a large stack of cards and I picked the top one. Not sure what they do with leftover packs. Do they just keep giving them away? Do they sell them? Rip them? No idea.

No comments: