Monday, September 28, 2015

2015 Topps Star Wars Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Retail)

I don't know about you, but I can't wait till Episode 7 comes out.  Of course I'm going to reserve the right to go back on that after I see the movie, but I really think JJ Abrams will bring the franchise back to it's full glory.  The movie card set is set to drop right around the time the movie comes out, but Topps has put out this set leading up to the movie.  If you love inserts and parallels you are going to love this set.

The base set has 110 cards.  And mimic the original set from 1977.  The base cards have the blue starfield background.  Out of my 6 card retail pack I only got 2 base cards.  To be honest after opening the pack and looking though it it reminded me of opening the original UD Goodwin Champions cards.  Lots of things other than base cards in the pack, the only thing missing was a tobacco size card or other mini insert....mmmm there's something to think about Topps.




The first parallel card I pulled was this Black Starfield.  These are seeded 1:2 or every other pack.


Next we have what I believe to be the Jabba Slime Green Starfield.  These aren't listed on the pack, but the set list over at Cardboard Connection lists these as one per pack.

I also got 2 other inserts, Power of the First Order.

And a Heroes of the Resistance.
What a Wookie!

There are all sorts of other inserts and autographs you can pull from the set.  Overall I really like the look of the set.  I think we could have done with a few less parallels and inserts, but the classic card stock is nice and the cards look good.

3 comments:

The Junior Junkie said...

WANT. I'l have to look for these on my next Target trip...

Billy Kingsley said...

Hah! You beat me to posting this by about 3 hours. I will do one of the retail Jumbo (14 card) packs...I also have a hobby box on order. I even got the same Chewbacca card in one of my packs.

Billy Kingsley said...

I decided to do an expanded review of the multiple packs I opened on my own blog - http://cardboardhistory.blogspot.com/2015/09/beginning-journey-to-force-awakens-with.html