Sunday, March 29, 2020

1999 Fleer Tradition Retail


The nostaglia trip continues with another baseball pack from the late '90s. This one features the notorious J.D. Drew as the cover guy. By the way, I have no idea what kind of store Just Treats is or was. Anything with that price sticker on it was something I found at a card show.


273 - Wally Joyner - I always think of Joyner as one of the stars of the '80s, but he played throughout all of the '90s as well.


466 - Charlie Hayes - This design does little to distinguish itself from Fleer Ultra (full bleed photos, nice photography, thin glossy cards) while other Tradition sets usually go for a more "retro" look. I believe at this time this was essentially the de facto Fleer flagship set.


373 - Carlos Perez - The ol' hat-in-the-mouth trick (?).


86 - Brant Brown - Here's a look at the back design. It looks very nice.


83 - Mark DeRosa - The early days of the MLB Network personality.


498W - Gregg Olson Warning Track - I don't have a lot of these red parallels, so I was somewhat surprised to learn that these are a one-per-pack retail pull.


206 - Kevin Millwood - Nice throwback jersey here.


269 - Matt Stairs - One of the issues with this pack, and a lot of older packs with UV coating, is that the cards stuck together. You can see some of the evidence here on Matt's jersey.


126 - Carl Everett - I usually find the '90s Astros logo to be pretty hideous, but this is a pretty slick looking Starter jacket that Everett has.


293 - J.T. Snow - Well, that's adorable! I wonder what this mini-Snow is up to these days.

2 comments:

Fuji said...

In addition to Ultra... seeing photos like Snow, Hayes, and Everett give off a Stadium Club vibe as well.

Jeremya1um said...

I ripped a pack of these the year they came out. Never cared that much for Fleer, but they did have nice parallels and inserts and offer different players than Topps usually had.
If you are up for a trade, I collect Olson and Everett , and I’d be happy to trade for them.