Friday, May 05, 2017

1978 Topps Close Encounters of the Third Kind


I picked up a variety of 70's packs recently, and this was one of them: 1978 Topps Close Encounters of the Third Kind. There are 66 cards in the set with 11 stickers. Interestingly, Richard Dreyfuss, the main actor in the movie, is missing from the set.

The fronts feature stills from the movie, are generally cut off-center, and shout "Hey, I was made in the 70's, man!" pretty loudly. The cards have red borders that surround the image and the car number. The card numbers are on the front because the backs feature something different, which you will see in a minute. The fronts also have a caption and copyright information:



As promised, here are the backs. Some feature "Movie Facts" and other have puzzle pieces. Some of the pieces are just black background with a border. That should be fun for the kids, right? Haha!


I remember seeing the movie in the theater as a kid and I'm sure I spent more than a few quarters buying packs of these. I do wish they had the mashed potato tower, though.

7 comments:

SumoMenkoMan said...

Cool pack. It looks like the backs form some sort of picture....even the black ones. One an interesting note, this is probably Devil Tower's (an iconic landmark in Wyoming) rookie card.

night owl said...

These cards could not have been cooler back in the day.

Big Tone said...

Epic,epic,epic,epic film!Great cards!

Minormillikin said...

How tasty was the gum?

Fuji said...

Great pack! Haven't seen this movie in years. Gonna add it to the list right now.

madding said...

I love that the pack wrapper kind of looks like an Atari 2600 cartridge.

Billy Kingsley said...

What are the first two kinds? I have about a pack worth of these but I've never seen the movie... although on average I watch about one or two movies per year.