Thursday, February 27, 2020

2020 Topps Series 1 Retail

Greetings...

Hope everyone is doing well.  Now that all the bloggers have gone through their Series 1 purchases on their blogs, I might as well get my pack up here.  Target once again has the 3 packs of Series 1 that includes a green parallel.


It boiled down to either this one or Fergie (no, not that Fergie).  I can live with this.

The 3 pack costs $9, up a dollar from last year. Topps wised up and made the 3 pack the same price as 3 single packs.  For those who remember what happened last year, Topps made sure the back contained the odds for this year.


Same number of cards as the single pack.  This is the generic wrapper.  Target packs advertise Vlad Jr inserts while Wal-Mart boast Rhys Hoskins inserts.  Here's the best of the 3 packs:


#292 - Gavin Lux (RC)
#81 - Ryan Yarbrough

I've got no issues with the design.  I wonder why the border is either on the right or left side. I assume it's based on the picture.  It's unfortunate they still have to go with the blurry crowd pictures...is it done purposely to make the Stadium Club cards stand out more?


#42 - Lewis Brinson
#242 - Alex Young (RC)

I have a Brinson auto somewhere...that "hot rookie" hasn't panned out.


#320 - Austin Hedges
#15 - Manny Being Manny (Checklist)

I still would rather checklists show season highlights...or hey, how about combo Managers?  And "Manny Being Manny" should have shown Machado celebrating with Manny Margot (I'm not up on my Padres so for all I know he's the third guy).


#261 - Daniel Mengden
#152 - Zack Wheeler

All baseball cards of Daniel Mengden have to show off his 'stache.


#322 - Dario Agrazal (RC)
#197 - Raisel Iglesias

Of course, the main issue with Series 1 is that the Texas Rangers has just one base card in the set.  I have yet to see the card on the blogs.  I also cannot find a reason why this was the case...anyone know?


#14 - Anthony Rendon
#TRC-9 - Trey Mancini (Turkey Red Chrome)

Moving to the inserts...the Turkey Red Chrome comes 1 in 10 packs.


#110 - Jesus Luzardo (RC) (Short Print)  1:38
#TR-48 - Brian Anderson (Turkey Red)

Nice short print of a possible "hot rookie".  Short prints come 1 in 38 packs.  The Turkey Red comes in every pack.


#119 - Kyle Schwarber
#204 - Hector Neris

Hector wants you to know the card backs are below...or he didn't want his picture taken:


Card backs are fine.  Some bloggers mentioned all the gray on the back.  I'm more concerned whether or not full stats are legible.

Anyway, that's the pack.  I've got a rack pack somewhere which I'll post eventually, unless someone beats me to it.  Enjoy the rest of the week, and thanks for reading!


P.S.  I'm looking into creating a free Yahoo fantasy baseball league...me and a friend of mine are fantasy baseball nomads, so we've been latching onto open leagues for many years now.  My eldest has expressed an interest in playing, so I'm checking to see if any bloggers would be interested in playing along.  If you are, please leave a modified version of your e-mail in the comments.  I'm looking for 7 players.  If you get an e-mail from me before the season starts, then I got 10 players and I'm moving forward.  If you don't get an e-mail from me, then I failed and I'll be looking for three openings in one of the open leagues.  Thanks!

5 comments:

BaseSetCalling said...

Haven’t pulled that Wheeler card here yet - but it certainly seems to capture his thoughts on the Mets.

Matt said...

I'll play in your fantasy baseball league: mattkeppel -at- yahoo -dot com

bbcardz said...

In my review of 2020 Topps Series 1, I show many cards including the lone Ranger base card (Nick Solak). I also recap the reason Topps produced only one Rangers base card in Series 1. Here's the link to my review:

https://stadiumfantasium.com/pleasure-and-pain-a-review-of-2020-topps-series-1/

TCDB aka www.tcdb.com (Trading Card Database) is looking for some Yahoo fantasy baseball managers. I'm already in one of their H2H leagues and might get into another one.

https://www.tradingcarddb.com/Forum.cfm/Page/O/ID/0/?MODE=VIEW&ThreadID=20856&C=5

P-town Tom said...

I would have bought that pack just to add the Cubs WS card to my collection. Nice call on your part.

Base Card Hero said...

My Target had 2020 Series 1 for a week, but hasn't restocked since. The Turkey Red inserts are decent, but I am not feeling the chrome version.