Thursday, February 20, 2020

MJ Holding Company Meijer Exclusive Hanger Pack

Greetings!

Hope everyone is doing well.  Did you all enjoy the NBA All-Star festivities this past weekend?  The 3 Point Contest rarely disappoints, and the Dunk Contest was quite fun, even though Aaron Gordon was robbed.  Count me as one of the doubters for the new All-Star Game format, but it worked...but I don't know if it worked because Kobe or if it worked because legit.

Anyway, why is Ol' Jafronius putting up a baseball repack days after the NBA All-Star Game?  All will be revealed...


When I was doing my Black Friday shopping runs, I came across these new repacks at the kinda-local Meijer.  Meijer is basically a slightly larger Super Wal-Mart.  Most have gas stations attached, and stores can be found in the midwest, mostly Michigan, with stores in Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio, and Kentucky.  I skipped on them back then because I didn't know what to expect from those repacks, and dropping $5.50 for what is essentially a rack pack (they adopted the old Toys R Us rack pack pricing model) wasn't appealing.

During some down-time at the new job, I was able to find a YouTube video that showed some contents.  Definitely mixed results, but it was enough for me to go back recently to get a pack.


2019 Topps Opening Day #55 - Yusei Kikuchi (RC) (Purple Parallel)

Here's a closer look at the repack cover boy.  Most of the repacks has a purple parallel on the front, which I believe Meijer took on after Toys R Us folded (the ones that didn't have a purple parallel had a Beckett card on the front).  I wasn't able to pull Yusei from an Opening Day pack, so getting the parallel will have to do.

All the other cards in the repack are backwards, so you see the backs of all the other cards.  Here's what I got:


2016-17 Panini Donruss NBA
#53 - Rodney Hood
#18 - DeAndre Bembry (Rookie Kings)

So........yeah.

Rookie Kings is an insert set, and I don't believe I have Rodney Hood yet, but still, not expecting ballers in a baseball repack.  Moving on...


2016-17 Panini Donruss NBA
#171 - Pascal Siakam (RC) (Green & Yellow Holo Laser Parallel ?)
#26 - Chris Paul (All Stars)

2016-17 Panini Hoops NBA
#77 - Aaron Gordon

Uh......................

Well, I checked eBay and the only Siakam Green/Yellow parallel (whatever they're called) on the site is listed for $32.  The Chris Paul is another insert, and as I mentioned before, Gordon got robbed.


2007 Topps
#437 - Paul Lo Duca
#482 - Jose Contreras

Phew, back to baseball cards in a baseball repack.  These cards are 13 years old?


2007 Topps
#619 - Bud Black
#519 - Alex Rios

Sorry for the blurry picture.  The cards do look like they've been handled well, though.


2007 Topps
#304 - Kenny Rogers (Gold Glove Award)
#219 - Chris Gomez
#33 - Ervin Santana


1988 Topps UK Minis

#26 - Kirk Gibson
#86 - Mike Witt
#84 - Tim Wallach

Still recovering from the basketball card cameos, here's a threesome from the old Topps American Baseball UK set.  These cards popped up in every pack the YouTuber opened so expect some of these if you try one of these out.


2017 Topps
#655 - Garrett Richards
#660 - Jeanmar Gomez
#540 - Billy Hamilton

Back to recent sets with these cards from 2017.


2017 Topps
#447 - Scott Kazmir

2017 Topps Heritage
#339 - Alex Gordon
#78 - Pedro Baez


2016 Topps
#513 - Caleb Joseph
#506 - Stephen Vogt
#487 - Martin Prado

I'll have to see if I have that Vogt...the only card image that comes to my mind for him is the 2015 All-Star card with him holding the little girl.


2016 Topps
#611 - Darin Ruf
#491 - Rich Hill
#380 - Michael Blazek


2016 Topps
#MLBD2-37 - Joey Votto (MLB Debut)
#65-1989 - Ken Griffey Jr (Celebrating 65 Years)

We've reached the insert portion of the repack. I still can't find odds for the MLB Debut inserts.  I'm also not sure of the card number for the Griffey, but it's still a nice card to pick up.


2016 Topps
#RS-9 - Alex Rodriguez (Record Setters)
#HH-15 - Greg Maddux (Hallowed Highlights)

Again, I can't find the pack odds for the Record Setters insert, but the Hallowed Highlights were found 1 in every 8 packs. 


2016 Topps
#BB2-1969 - Johnny Bench (Berger's Best)
#429 - Kenta Maeda (RC)
#524 - Justin Nicolino (Future Stars)

The Berger's Best was a 1 in 4 pack insert.  Nice find in the Maeda RC...Justin Nicolino last pitched in the majors in 2017, so Topps was a little too quick with handing out those Future Star designations.

Anyway, that's the repack.  If you watched the YouTube video, you can see that this product is a real hit or miss.  For me, I got the repack for the Kikuchi and the inserts I pulled were alright.  Was it worth $5?  It would be real odd if the difference maker for a baseball repack is a NBA rookie card parallel.

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

Fuji said...

Never been to a Meijers, but if I ever do go there and I see one of these with a Kikuchi purple parallel... I'll be all over it.

madding said...

With the recent explosion of the basketball card market, that Siakam is a huge pull right now! I don't even know what a Meijer is, but I wish I had one.

Twitch said...

Wow, if they're gonna throw some basketball cards in there, you couldn't hope to do much better than a Siakam RC parallel! If it's available for trade, I am very interested. I've been on a major basketball kick lately.