Monday, September 20, 2010

2010 Breygent San Diego Comic-Con Mystery Pack

Something unusual for your perusal when you wake up today, a decidedly non-sport SDCC exclusive. I already knew what I was getting with this when I picked this up on eBay, but it was sent in the actual pack itself, so technically this counts as a pack break right? And besides, I think I'm one of the very few card bloggers with a foot solidly in the non-sport Koi pond, so who else is going to drop the $20-$30 bones to pick up one of these sight-unseen (this went for the opening bid of $4.99, for the record)?

Anyway these mystery packs contained either an SDCC exclusive sketch card (from Golden Age and Cartoon at least, not sure if there were others), Metallogloss costume or prop cards, autographs, or auto/costume (thank you old Trader Crack's post for the info) from Breygent's various entertainment licenses (Dexter, Ghost Whisperer, Paranormal Activity). Also the Metallogloss cards' metalloness apparently made it really easy to tell them from the rest of the stuff you could get, but that's not going to be a problem here. Finally, every pack came with a promo card, presumably from the same product the hit comes from, but I dunno for sure.

Anyway, enough jibba-jabba, let's see what we got, eh? First the promo:

Mr. Monster promo.

The promos (and the 40-card base set you also get one-per-pack in regular packs) are basically prints of various sketch cards, with the top and bottom having a red border. They're also frequently miscut to a hilarious degree, judging by the promo set I picked up awhile back, but that's neither here nor there. The actual sketch cards have either nothing below & above the lines near the top and bottom, or shiny gold foily stuff that's super condition-sensitive on the corners (the gold ones were done in equal amounts to the plain ones).

The promo back.

And now for the main event! It's a--

--Sketch Card! Atoma by Guillaume Prevost. I like it, reminds me of Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets/G-Force a little bit. Must remember to use this character in some way in my most likely never to be produced (I've drawn three whole panels!) webcomic set at the tail end of the Golden Age.

Anyway, I would've had this up when I started the post the yesterday if not for it taking forever to figure out who did this card. Observe:

I know it can be a little tedious, and I only did 55 cards total between the two sets I did, but come on! Put your name on the back, artists!

There's a little Comic-Con logo on the back, denoting what these were made for, but otherwise the back is exactly like the regular ones I worked on back in March. The only other thing to add is that the promo was in a penny sleeve and the sketch card was in a top loader, which from what I understand, is how sketch card series like this are usually packed.

The promo is for trade if anyone wants it, since I already have the set.

Until our next...

No comments: