Friday, March 22, 2019

2019 Topps Opening Day Retail

Greetings...

Hope everyone is doing well.  The boys are on spring break next week, so I'll be job hunting while making sure they eat when they're supposed to (they'll be too busy with TV and video games).

Opening Day started in Japan a couple of days ago, ending with Ichiro riding off into the sunset.  Opening Day state-side starts next Thursday.  Topps Opening Day dropped back on March 13th.  I'm slow...here's my first pack:


There's 7 cards in a pack for a dollar, so the price for Opening Day didn't change like Flagship.  200 cards in the set; here's the checklist for those interested.  Here's what I got:


#90 - Jamie Barria
#198 - Aaron Nola

Too bad Topps doesn't use a different color border for Opening Day like they did for prior years.  Losing the foil and adding the Opening Day logo doesn't really do enough to differentiate the sets.


#33 - Mookie Betts
#M-24 - Mascot

The difference are the inserts, I guess.  Mascots return!  They come 1 in 4 packs.  I didn't know the Oriole Bird can play the violin!


#100 - Shohei Ohtani
#88 - Justus Sheffield
#64 - Tim Beckham

Justus is shown with his new team, an obvious photoshop job.  He's listed with the Yankees in Series 1.  Here are the backs because Mascots:


Anyway, that's the pack.  I also picked up a rack pack so I'll show that off eventually, unless someone beats me to it.  Have a good weekend, and thanks for reading!

5 comments:

P-town Tom said...

The inserts make this set... especially the mascots!

Bulldog said...

Nice pull. Ohtani and Mookie make this a win. I like seeing some of the players in their new unis even if some fancy computer skills are involved. The photos of players I've pulled with their new team look pretty good.

Brett Alan said...

I'm not a fan of mascot cards...especially mascot cards which aren't allowed to use the mascot's name! I do not understand how they so often have the rights to the mascot's image, but not the name.

Fuji said...

Love the mascots! Glad to see Stomper and The Swinging Friar are both included this year.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I am all for Topps dropping the OD set, and stay with the Big League or even Bunt (but not both). At least they're different pics. Nice pack though. You did good.