Wednesday, December 19, 2012

1993-94 Topps Stadium Club Series 1 Basketball


Last time you saw Series 2. This time you'll see how it all began. It's kind of like an origin story, mid-'90s basketball style. This one cost me a buck, same as last time.


145 - Gerald Wilkins - The less famous brother of Dominique was not the NBA's answer to Billy Ripken. He was actually quite good. Not superstar good or anything, but a very good player nonetheless. We get about 60% of a Michael Jordan in this photo.


3 - Steve Smith Triple Double - Man, were we ever obsessed with triple-doubles back in the day? I guess a casual mention in a certain Ice Cube song may have had something to do with that. Steve Smith was a player I liked, and he eventually would go on to play for my hometown Blazers. By that point, I felt like he had devolved into a mostly spot-up 3 point shooter.


57 - Jeff Hornacek - I used to call him, derisively, Jeff Horny Sex. Because that's what you do when you're 15, I guess. Also, this goes without saying, but man... those Sixers jerseys were bad.


148 - Tim Hardaway - I used to really like the "T" in Run-TMC, which is a shame considering that he turned out to be quite the homophobe.


15 - Kevin Johnson - Star point guard one day, mayor of one of the worst NBA towns the next.


179 - Checklist - Alright! CHECK! LIST!


161 - Blair Rasmussen - This ex-Oregon Duck occupies a place in one of my binders. Really. Because I collect those guys.


167 - Danny Ferry - One in a long line of "meh" Duke players. Meh.


- Info Card - This looks like the front cover of an '80s computer game manual, or something Atari-like.


158 - Cliff Robinson - There's a Blazer! Everybody do the Uncle Cliffy Dance!


103 - Scottie Pippen Triple Double - Surely, they could have found a better photo than this.


47 - Glen Rice - Another staple of the good-but-not-quite great Heat teams of the '90s.


162 - Carl Herrera - And here we end it with Herrera, a reserve player who I don't remember a ton about.

I said it last time and I'll say it again: I have a bunch of basketball cards that I don't need. If you like a particular team and wouldn't mind a few (hundred) cards, let me know!

5 comments:

Faysal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Faysal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Faysal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Faysal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Faysal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.