Monday, May 23, 2011

2002 Fleer Authentix Baseball (Hobby)

Since I'm a semi-regular contributor to this blog, it's only right that I use my recent group break to pad the listings on here. What good is it to open a pack without contributing to the cause? So, I'm going to be featuring one pack from each of the seven boxes I opened for the group break. In each case, this will be the first pack seen on video. That means, if you've already watched, then you know what's coming.

This one is going to be quick and easy. 5 cards. Looking for some "true" rookie cards (and there were a few in the box, but nothing too notable on that front. Replica tickets galore. Fun and games, and hopefully no Barry except on the wrapper.

#116 - Joe Crede - Here we start off with a member of the World Champion White Sox squad. I don't follow the Sox, so I'm not sure how integral he was to that team. What I didn't realize is that he's out of baseball already at age 32. It looks like he considered coming back in 2011 after a year off, but never showed up for spring training.


#39 - Jeff Kent - This picture is good, because it downplays the pedo-stache. I'm curious how they decided on the gate/row/seat numbers and if some cards possibly feature combinations that don't exist in the ballparks featured. My assumption is that happens a few times.


#124 - Jamie Moyer - Here's hoping Jamie can actually keep playing at age 50. To me, that's a greater accomplishment than some of these other records everyone carries on about.


#33 - Ruben Sierra - The backs show off the indentation/crown molding in these cards better than the front scans. Other than that, I'm not a fan. Too much empty space. One year of stats. Info about the stadium when it could be more "ticket" related. The % totals are interesting enough, but only as a novelty.


#123 - Torii Hunter - Hunter showed up more times in this box than there are "i"s in his first name, most notably as the only parallel found (and almost missed).

So, no hits or major interest in this first pack, but there were quite a few decent cards (and more than expected overall) ultimately to be found. Until next time.

No comments: