Wednesday, July 21, 2010

1998 Pinnacle Inside

AKA Can of Cards! I have been teasing these cans for a while now… Included in my infamous Group Break 2009-2011 I had 5 cans of Pinnacle Inside. 2 from 1997 and 3 from 1998. As far as I know those were the only two years they made this product. I think that 1998 was Pinnacle’s last year of operation anyway. Hobby shops hated the cans because they were bulky and expensive to ship. 24 cans took up a whole shelf whereas 24 packs sit neatly in a box. When these first hit the shelves they were HOT! My local shop had a can opener right on the counter. The fad went away quick and the cans I bought for the break had been sitting in the same shop for 12 years over 5 different owners. I finally liberated them and got a pretty good deal on them. I think some people collected the cans themselves as they had different images on them. From the pack searching dilemma these made great sense as they are a searchers nightmare. I like that. For this rip I dug into a 1998 Pinnacle Inside Can featuring the Iron Man Cal Ripken Jr. The top of the can warns that these must be opened under adult supervision, so I called my wife for assistance. On the side of the can it has the insert odds disguised as nutrition facts. The can tells me that these cards are 100% collectable with top players, inside info and cool inserts. The best insert is the Diamond Edition which is seeded in 1:67 cans. A Mark McGwire Diamond Edition insert recently sold for $10.00. They normally sell for a buck or two with the Jeter sometimes fetching 20. Okay, the can is open and it yielded a “pack” wrapped in clear cellophane. Cal Ripken Jr. is on the outside of the can and on the top of the pack. Here is what we got: Card #144 of Cal Ripken Jr. explaining how to break up a double play. I think that is some of “inside information” this product promised…Card #83 of Mark Kotsay. The big and bold stats on the front are cool UNLESS you hit .192, then it is embarrassing. Card #15 of Sandy Alomar Jr. Again, do they need to list 0 stolen bases so large? I mean the guy is a catcher! Card #128 of Richard Hidalgo who signed on his 16th birthday. Card #3 of A-Rod. Card #66 of Cards pitcher Alan Benes. Card #102 of Mariners slugger Jay Buhner. I wonder if this card netted him on the “no fly list”. Card #26 of Jeff Bagwell. The homer and stolen base stats work for Bags. Glad for him that they didn’t use postseason stats… Card #146 of Chippah. More inside info, this time about the infield in strategy. And the final card is Montreal Expos outfielder Rondell White, card #30. Oh wait, there was one more, an insert. Not a Diamond Edition or even a Behind the Numbers. Nope we got the 1:1 insert, Stand Up Guys. I think this one forms a stand up of some sort, I didn’t try. This one has players from the Rangers-Pudge, Juan Gone, Rusty Greer and someone else. 12 years of waiting to be opened and I feel let down. Oh well. Thanks for reading! Go Rays! DOH!! Just realized that Baseball Dad has already posted this brand. Oops. Read his much better review here... Troll out.

4 comments:

Joe S. said...

I spit my water out at work when I read the line about calling your wife for assistance. Good stuff!

flywheels said...

Loved the gimmick, loved the set...back in 1998. Great review however.

Play at the Plate said...

Since I opened my package, I figured out the guy with Juando is Will Clark. I don't know how it works, but it almost looks like you need another card to complete that standup.

Kold$hadow said...

I have that same Stand Up insert . . . great review, too, you really got me nostalgic over here!