Friday, July 30, 2010

2005 Topps Rookie Cup Hobby Edition

Hello again all. I have 2005 Topps Rookie Cup Hobby Edition pack from the Vend-O-Pack to show everyone. Check out the post about the baseball card vending machine I have near me over on my blog BA Benny's Baseball Card Buffet. These packs came with 7 cards per pack with 2 inserts and one sn'd parallel as part of the 7 cards.

2005 Topps Rookie Cup Hobby Edition


#122 Bengie Molina (Angels)
#131 Brad Wilkerson (Expos)
#106 Nomar Garciaparra (Red Sox)
#133 Eric Hinski (Blue Jays)

Green Parallel #25 Bill Buckner (Dodgers) sn'd 102/199
Reprint #26 Don Baylor (Orioles)
Reprint #145 Chad Tracy (D-Backs)

Some backs.


BY THE NUMBERS:

Total Cards: 7
Teams Represented: 7
Rookie Cards: 0
Parallels: 1 Sn'd /199
Inserts: 2
Hits: 0
Keepers for Me: 1 (Buckner, the rest are available)
MY RATINGS:
Front Design: 6.5 out of 10. Nice design, decent photos Rookie Cup logo, no team logos, same background logo on all cards.
Back Design: 6 out of 10. Nice design, rookie all-star season and total career stats only, no team logo gray and white only colors.
Player Selection: 7 out of 10. Good variety, all rookie cup winners, some stars.

FINAL OVERALL RATING:
Single into short right field. I like these cards a whole lot even though the design is fairly simple and I got only one keeper. I like the idea of only all-star rookie cup winners in the set and am always a fan of the reprints of older cards. A different twist is the reprints of rookie cup cards that are usually second year cards of most players. I am thinking of finding a box of these to bust.
Give us your rating on these and check out another pack of these over on my Pack Rip Cafe as I got 2 packs to rip out of the Vend-O-Pack.

Also check out the Vend-O-Pack post over on The Buffet to enter a little contest I am having.



Thanks for Reading!

1 comment:

Todd Uncommon said...

On one hand, I actually like the Topps Rookie Cup product in some ways. The design was adequate, the reprints were still mildly novel, and I especially like the short-print cards with a metal rookie cup emblem embedded in the card. That's an idea that could really have some renewed life with Topps' MLB exclusive license.

However, it also sucked in huge ways. You could tell that this would be another red-headed stepchild one-off of a product line. There was no future, here.

Plus, it seemed like every pack I've ever seen has that damned Chad Tracy reprint card.

Why does that card even exist? What is the purpose of reprinting a base Topps 2004 Chad Tracy (of all people) in a 2005 wild-hair product like Rookie Cup? Who would even ask for such a card? Why? It can drive me a little nuts.