Sunday, November 01, 2009

1994 Score Series 1

1994 Score was the first foray into UV-coating with the flagship set. I personally think it looks pretty nice, especially when compared to some of the sets that would follow in later years.

126 - Kent Mercker

134 - Willie Wilson (Wilson was still hanging around as a lousy Cub at this point.)

146 - Jack Daugherty (Jack had the name of someone in another profession... country singer perhaps? Private detective?)

154 - Candy Maldonado

166 - Steve Avery (Avery was a star at this point and was the most collectible pitcher of the Braves staff for a time in the early '90s. No one I knew wanted to touch Smoltz or Glavine.)

320 - Chicago White Sox Checklist Gold Rush (The gold metallic one-per-pack parallel was Score's answer to Topps Gold and others like it.)

81 - Kenny Lofton (It looks like Lofton is going to take a pitch off his fingers if he's not careful.)

99 - Kevin Brown (Yeah.)

101 - Wade Boggs (Boggs hit 24 HRs in 1987 while never hitting more than 11 in any other season of his career. Must have been the 'roids.)

9 - Mike Mussina (Mussina should be a Hall of Famer. It shouldn't be held against him that he pitched for Baltimore for so long.)

227 - Armando Reynoso

250 - Steve Frey (Unnecessary closeup.)

294 - John Habyan

221 - Bob Zupcic

4 comments:

Goose Joak said...

Wow. Thank you for posting the pack wrapper. That really brings back good memories.

NMCLax24 said...

Totally brings back memories, this was one of the first sets I ever bought cards of. I honestly don't even remember how I got them but one day I just realized that I had a pile of baseball cards lol, it was a sign. Roids or no roids, I'd love to trade for that Wade Boggs, I remember being 6 and watching him ride the horse around the field after the Yanks won the World Series. That Mussina is cool too. Send me an email at nicocritelli@yahoo.com, you had mentioned on my blog that you were interested in trading for some tribe cards, maybe we can put something together.
-Nico

Matt Runyon said...

I think a lot of the Score cards are underrated. They're nice cards.

The Baseball Card Snob said...

This is a set I might consider putting together in the future. Especially if UD's future baseball releases are the diasters that I expect them to be.