Monday, August 21, 2017

Topps Return of the Jedi

While hitting up the famous Economy Candy in Manhattan, I was not too surprised to see old packs of junk wax. What did surprise me was a single pack of Topps Return of the Jedi cards from 1983.


So five bucks work of chocolate I really didn't need, or 10 cards, 1 sticker and some 35 year old gum? No brainer!


The design on ROTJ cards is a bit weak. Sure, Topps has reused this on later releases that homage the set, but there are homages that should not exist. This is one of them. Compared to the sensational blue/red/yellow/green/orange of the ANH sets, this is just blah. I guess it's supposed to look like a movie screen? Let's just blow through them.


A classic image from ROTJ.


"Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive."


Steel bikini hot pack!


The real band in Jabba's palace. I like to forget Jedi Rocks and Joh Yowza.


Sticker of Obi Wan. Force spirit Obi Wan at that.


I have this as an 8x10 autographed by Jeremy Bullock.



In the background to the left is Oola. I saw her years ago at Star Wars Celebration and except for the lack of green skin, she did not age a single day.


Yub Yub indeed!


Han shooting first. Here's the back.


All have this write up of the movie plot. The character on the left changes. In my pack, I had 3PO, Wicket, The Emperor and others.

And for the part you all really wanted to know about:


Just broke in half. I'll take offers of of the number of '52 Mantles you will send to me to eat it on video. Let's start the bidding at 6 Mantle rookies.

Do I hear six?

2 comments:

P-town Tom said...

Wow, great find and totally worth the five spot!
Yub yub!

SumoMenkoMan said...

Awesome memories for $5!