Thursday, February 22, 2018

1987 Topps Who Framed Roger Rabbit

One of the most memorable movies to come out of late-1980s Hollywood is Who Framed Roger Rabbit.  Jessica Rabbit is memorable, Roger the loveable goofball, and Christopher Lloyd as Judge Doom.....this is also the first time special effects were able to merge a cartoon and real characters fairly seamlessly.  In fact, it won Oscars in 1989 for the effects. Topps was cranking out the sets in 1987 and Roger Rabbit got caught up in the swirl hyping the movie's release in 1988.  There are 132 cards in the set according to The Trading Card Database and this 9-card pack should also yield some 30 year old gum.  Imagine if I would have bought fleer basketball cards instead of Roger Rabbit cards back in 1987?  Oh the choices we make.  Grab a drink....No thanks, I am trying to cut down.  Yes, you want a drink.  Okay, I do.



Oooo, special sticker....ah the memories of a great movie.


#108; Eddie Valiant right off the bat.  A great performance by Bob Hoskins.



#56: Eddie, his hand comes out of the cuffs...classic comedy.



#88: Floor please.



#126: Judge Doom had it coming.


#99: Jessica Rabbit makes an appearance


#125: A happy ending....



#115: Judge Doom is a toon???


#117: 'Nuff said.


#47: Not the DIP!!!


My promised sticker....Baby Herman none-the-less.


Here is the back of card #108.


Evidently they didn't use enough softeners or BHT to maintain the freshness of my gum.

There you have it.  Enjoy the rest of your week and ease on into the weekend.

6 comments:

Jafronius said...

Wait, what? These are the cards Topps released before the movie? Nowadays all you'd get are boring profile pictures of all the cast (I'm looking at you, Disney Star Wars).

Also, I doubt Jessica Rabbit would exist as drawn if this movie was being planned now.

Matt said...

I just watched this movie the other day - what a classic!

Fuji said...

I don't think I've ever seen this movie, but Baby Herman looks pretty cool.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Fuji, it is worth the watch.

Fuji said...

Good to know. If I find it for a buck at the flea market, I pick it up.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Probably a lot of VHS tapes floating around.