Monday, March 19, 2018

2013 Panini Beach Boys

This one is for you Billy Kingsley.  I know you like the Beach Boys as do I.  No other band is associated more with surfing, California, bikinis, and the beach than are The Beach Boys.  When this set was printed 5 odd years ago they had already hit their 50-year mark in the music business.  Crazy to think that my parents had grown up with them as well as me and my kids and likely my grandkids.  This 8-card Hobby Pack has a ton of inserts card odds printed on the back of the pack and The Trading Card Database has the complete 120-card set checklisted along with all of the insert sets.  I'd love to get a Brian Wilson card as I don't think I have ever pulled one of those.  Grab your Sex on the Beach drink and a pair of flipflops, we are going California Dreamin.

Flannels at the Beach....say what?  Must be the Oregon-coast beach they are at.


#97: Dennis Wilson leading the rush.  He definitely led a troubled life later on in his career, but not due to the shirtless overalls look.



#111: Bruce Johnston is still touring these days with Mike Love.


#29:  Al Jardine - He actually played football with Brian Wilson in high school. 






#72: I think I got a Mike Love hot pack as this is the first of a few.  





#55: A mid-1970s shot of the group.  I just realized my scanner is really dirty.



#15:  Everyone is thinking, wtf?  Who thought of this pose?




Top 10 #9:  Here is my first insert.  Part of the Top 10 set....  Dance, Dance, Dance....not one of my favorites



Etchings #2: Mike Love looking cold.  I actually like the look of this card with the waves and prism effects.



Here is a sample back.





There you go.  I hope this starts your week off well and anyone have any good Beach Boy stories?

5 comments:

Coast To Posts said...

Panini did a really good job with these cards. I like the idea of the Top 10 insert set. Too bad you didn’t pull an auto; how awesome would that have been.

Pet Sounds is one of my favourite albums; I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels that way... anyway great pack.

Fuji said...

I have a good Beastie Boys story... but unfortunately no Beach Boys stories. Cool pack though.

Brett Alan said...

Bruce Johnston tours with Mike Love as The Beach Boys, not with Brian.

Bulldog said...

Id only I could rock the shirtless overall look like Dennis Wilson did! Pretty good cards. I may have to grab a pack given the chance. Good post.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Thanks for the catch Brett!