Thursday, July 07, 2011

1987 Topps WWF

Photobucket

Am I the only wrestling fan here?  I bring you an old school pack of 1987 Topps WWF...yes, I said WWF wrestling cards.  Sorry World Wildlife Fund...we're talking about the real WWF today.  I picked up a couple of these packs when placing an order for some boxes a few months back and I hope to get more in the near future.  Let's take a look at the cards.

Photobucket
#10 King Harley Race

I grew up watching NWA and Ric Flair, but I remember Ric mentioning Harley a lot back in the day.

Photobucket
#21 Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat

One of my favorite wrestlers as a kid.  I think he ran a gym in my home town of Charlotte, NC at one point in time.

Photobucket

Photobucket
#015 King Kong Bundy

This guy always freaked me out as a kid.  Even this photo is odd.  Where are the guy's thumbs?!  My friend had the rubber LJN figure of Bundy and would use it to beat the snot out of all the other figures. 

Photobucket
#50 Revenge on Randy (WrestleMania III)
Steamboat's throat was earlier injured in a match by "Macho Man" Randy Savage, but Steamboat got his revenge later at WrestleMania III.

Photobucket
#37 Champ in the Ring

In this current age of wrestling the old WWF Heavyweight Championship belt looks like a toy.

Photobucket
#45 The Olympian Returns

Ken Patera (Olympic weightlifting medalist) returned to the WWF after a 2 year hiatus to join Bobby "The Brain" Heenan's Henchmen group.

Photobucket  Photobucket
#64 Scare Tactics (Demolition)

I always thought of these guys as the poor man's Road Warriors.  The Ringside Action card backs offer up little "information".  In this case Demolition's looks would psyche out there opponents.  Whatever.

Photobucket
#24 Ready to Strike (Jake "The Snake" Roberts)

Who didn't love Jake's big python Damian in the 80's?  I wonder if any of the wrestlers objected to having the large snake slither across them after a match winning DDT?

Photobucket
#28 Spoiling for a Fight (The Islanders)

Haku and Tama were always a lot of fun to watch.  I believe Haku went on to fight under the name Meng.

Photobucket  Photobucket
#12 King Kong Bundy sticker

The stickers were 1 per pack and are "die-cut" a la Garbage Pail Kids.  The backs even featured a a puzzle piece similar to GPKs.

I love 80's wax product and this is no exception.  It helps that I'm a wrestling fan.  I really didn't bother with trading cards until 1990 or 1991 so I missed out on these when they were new.  Glad I finally discovered them 24 years later!

5 comments:

cynicalbuddha said...

OH man that brings back memories. I rip a ton of this back in the day.

Brad said...

Great post! An old school WWF fan right here. I've been thinking about wrestling trading cards lately.

flywheels said...

Do you still have any of these cards Mark?

shoeboxlegends said...

I ripped a pack of these a long time ago on A Pack a Day, if anyone's interested in seeing another one ripped here's the link:

http://apackaday.blogspot.com/2008/08/1987.html

Todd Uncommon said...

King Kong Bundy-jo!

That guy barely fits on to the card or the sticker.

The Jake Roberts card is classic. Nice pack.