Saturday, January 14, 2012

2011 Bandai Thundercats

Photobucket

What's this?  New Thundercats trading cards based off the new Thundercats animated series?  Yes please!  I had no idea these even existed until I stopped in at Target to get my daughter a few packs of Panini Hello Kitty stickers.  $2.99 a pack?  Ouch.  I'm of the curious nature so I had to take a look.  80 card set.  Series 1 contains 68 common cards and 12 rare cards.  Each pack contains 8 cards - 7 common and 1 foil rare card.

Photobucket   Photobucket
 Driller (Character Card) #1-25

First card out of the pack is a winner!  I love the updated design they gave to the Driller.  Now if only Bandai will make an action figure of him because the original LJN figure sucks...no matter how rare he is!

Photobucket
 Jaga (Character Card) #1-17

The wise sage to King Claudus and advisor to Lion-O.

Photobucket
Lion-O (Character Card) #1-02

This the rare foil card inserted 1 per pack.  I like how Lion-O's eyes are foil and have a shiny appearance.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Companion (Scene Collection) #1-46 | Episode 3: "Ramlak Rising"

I don't always care for cards that just feature screen captures, but at least they added the episode the capture is from as well as some quotes from the scene.

Photobucket
Reunion (Scene Collection) #1-45 | Episode 1 & 2: "The Sword of Omens"

The first two episodes did a really good job setting up the story and introducing new fans to the rich Thundercats history.  I liked getting a glimpse of King Claudus and his past relationships.

Photobucket

Photobucket
(Puzzle Collection) #1-74

I can't wait to see how these puzzle cards look in a 9 pocket page.  I couldn't have been the only one that was surprised by the sexual tension between Lion-O and Cheetara early on...right? 

Photobucket
(Puzzle Collection) #1-78

Photobucket
(Puzzle Collection) #1-69

Overall I'm really impressed with these cards. They have a slick matte like finish and the corners are rounded.  They feel a lot like playing cards.  I still wish the price was at least a buck less and 3 puzzle cards was a little too much for one pack.  All in all though its a beautiful high quality set in which I plan to build.

No comments: