Wednesday, June 07, 2017

1992 Upper Deck Denny's Grand Slam


Once upon a time, you could get baseball cards with your breakfast. Or, at least, one baseball card? Denny's Grand Slam breakfast was some sort of food-related value opportunity at some point. It might still exist? I think I go to a Denny's about once every 10 years.


12 - Luis Polonia - Instead of a fortune cookie, a Denny's customer got a card of Luis Polonia, a guy who hit a grand total of thirty-six home runs in his twelve year career. I'm not sure what, exactly, the qualifications for inclusion in this set was to be. I do know that my scanner actually cooperated and produced a decent image of this full hologram card.


There's a bio on the back, but no stats aside from the embarrassing revelation that Polonia had just the one grand slam in his career to date. Did he ever hit more? Maybe? Maybe not. I mean, he was certainly no Sam Horn.

2 comments:

The Angels In Order said...

I could never figure that choice out either. Polonia must have had an inside connection at Upper Deck, or someone there owed him money.

dominicfdny said...

To be in the grand slam sets you had to have at least 1 grand slam