Monday, March 26, 2012

1991 Fleer Football

Was at the hobby shop picking up some supplies and decided to grab a couple of junk packs to rip. I don't collect football cards, in fact I wasn't even a football fan at all in 1991. For 50 cents though I figured I'd at least get a blog post out of this.

Here's the full wrapper, including the collector's pin offer. My 14 cards:

#8 - Andre Reed

At least I got somebody I recognize right out of the gate, but let me just say this design is awful. I was never a fan of putting the year right smack on the front of the card, and from a design perspective if this isn't mailing it in then I don't know what is.

#360 - Joe Montana

Interesting, this made the pack worth it I guess. I think I like the card backs better than the fronts:

After Reed and Montana this pack goes downhill fast, I don't recognize most of the rest of these guys...

#221 - Jay Hilgenberg

#98 - Kevin Porter

#430 - Checklist

#347 - Timm Rosenbach

#208 - Andre Rison

A name I do recognize...

#300 - Rueben Mayes

A franchise that's been in the news recently...

#351 - Lonnie Young

#194 - Chris Warren

#332 - Clyde Simmons

#68 - Johnny Meads

#200 - Tory Epps

#425 - Chris Smith

Does anyone out there actually collect this set? If so, you're more than welcome to these...

5 comments:

Ryan Freedman said...

I'd love that Montana if it's up for grabs...

night owl said...

I've said this before, but this set is scary ugly. Frightening that the public got to see it.

Commishbob said...

I hated that set. I collected a handful of these because I chased players on my fantasy team. I gave the others away to kids at my school as prizes.

I was collecting Pro Set football. In fact Pro set got me back into the hobby because they sold packs at my grocery store. Nothing could bring me back to my childhood like grabbing two packs at the checkout stand and tearing them open at the kitchen table later.

shoeboxlegends said...

Ryan if you get in touch with me I'll gladly send you that Montana card...

Ryan Freedman said...

Thanks...I have looked everywhere but cannot locate an e-mail address for you. Mine is rtfreed at aol.com. Thanks again.