Monday, January 28, 2013

1997-98 NBA Hoops Series 1 Retail


Hey! I have a little basketball card club thing going on at my primary blog right now, Cards on Cards. Supporting the club (which literally costs nothing) keeps entertaining programming like this alive on this blog and the others I may post in. I may buy more crummy packs for $1 that contain NBA cards if I have some solid contacts to give those cards away to when I'm sick of looking at them. Here's a pack I regret buying:


121 - Steve Nash - This is remarkably bad. I guess I should have known better than to try and answer my question of "whatever happened to NBA Hoops?" In comparison, Panini's revival of the brand name looks pretty impressive.


131 - Mitch Richmond


140 - Shawn Kemp - I suppose it's fair to comment on the Kings-to-Seattle situation. So I will. I hope it happens.


67 - Dale Davis - Master of the "pump fake it five times and leave the ball short off the front of the rim".


79 - Travis Knight


8 of 10 - Grant Hill Chill with Hill - Wow. I don't even know what to say.


90 - Armon Gilliam


80 - George McCloud


51 - Theo Ratliff - The '90s were weird. The Pistons were green back then. And on acid, I guess.


65 - Erick Dampier


 77 - Robert Horry


2 - Dennis Rodman League Leader - Rodman averaged 16.1 rebounds a game in 1996-97.


40 - Robert Pack


56 - Joe Smith


11 of 30 - Hakeem Olajuwon Talkin' Hoops - Bill Walton is back on the air doing college games these days, which is great/terrible. I'm happy for Walton being healthy enough to get back to doing his job, but he is not good at that job. Then again, Dick Vitale still seems to have a job.

4 comments:

hiflew said...

That flaming horse logo has to be one of the worst logos in history. Interesting concept with the take on horsepower but a terrible execution.

The Junior Junkie said...

Of all the packs I used to rip back in the day, basketball cards were the only one who consistently urged me to stay in school.

That Chill with Hill is awesome....

Spankee said...

I'm actually a fan of this set. My least favorite thing, though, is the "Per-48" projected stats. Those are the most useless stats in the world.

Community Gum said...

Gotta disagree with Spankee. I think this is more abysmal than 95-96 Fleer. It's a terrible custom card design that somehow got picked to represent the brand.
--Jon