Monday, August 09, 2010

Feedback Needed On Group Break Idea

I'm looking to get some feedback and a general interest level on doing a series of group breaks that would be focused on base cards instead of hits. This would mainly be designed for team collectors and would be focused on the lesser known sets.

How it would work: We would choose a year and then get a box or two of as many products as we could and try to keep it in the $15-20 per team range.

So for example, if we choose the year 2000 we would get as many of the following boxes as we could of:

Bowman: Base, Chrome
Fleer: Ex, Focus, Gamers, Mystique, Showcase, Tradition
Pacific: Prism, Revolution
Skybox: Metal
Topps: Stadium Club, Stadium Club Chrome [yes, they actually did make a Chrome version of this product], Base Series 1 & 2, Chrome, Gold Label, HD, Stars, Tek
Upper Deck: Flagship, Black Diamond, Hitters Club, MVP, Power Deck, Pros & Prospects, Ultimate Victory, Victory

If this all works out I would be purchasing the boxes from The Baseball Card Exchange and I will contact them to see if we can get a nice deal on shipping to keep costs down.

The focus would be on the more obscure sets and so, if push came to shove, we would choose Topps Gold Label over Topps' flagship set.

Of course, some of these products will have autograph/jersey cards but I want to be sure that going into everyone knows the focus would be on base cards and building team sets rather than MOJO!

All the teams would be available and all the cards would be shipped. All non-sports cards/hits would randomized off to teams that didn't already get a hit. I would also ask that one pack of each product be set aside for future reviewing on A Pack To Be Named Later.

At this point I'm just interested in your general interest in this and maybe which team you might be interested in. Please leave me a comment if this sounds like something you would be interested in.

12 comments:

(...Joe) said...

100%

This sounds like a great idea and I would be all for it! I'd be interested in the Mets, but I need to stock up on some other teams as well, so I'm open.

BA Benny said...

I would love to participate in something like that. I would prefer Mets or Yankees

flywheels said...

Sounds like a great idea...and I call the BRAVES!

BASEBALL DAD said...

Keep me in mind for the Indians!

deal said...

Team Phungo would be in, and Representin the Phillies!

Community Gum said...

Sounds like a fine plan, indeed! I'd be interested in the Cubs.
--Jon

TJ said...

Great idea. I'd take the Royals in something like that.

Anonymous said...

Love the idea. I'd like the Expos/Nationals.

madding said...

I'm generally interested in any low cost/low risk group break that results in me getting more Cardinals cards. So, yeah, count me in if this happens.

matt. said...

If we can claim a team, I'd be in for the Red Sox.

night owl said...

Depending on when this happened, I'd be interested in the Dodgers.

beardy said...

Put me down for the O's if this ends up happening.