Sunday, January 19, 2014

Fairfield Sports Chicago Fan Box, Pack IV: Memorabilia / Autograph Card

Greetings...

If the Blogger Scheduler is working properly (note:  it didn't, probably because I didn't hit the Publish button), then this post has gone up after both football games are done and thus begins the 2 week wait for the Super Bowl.  It's best to get the final post from the Fairfield box out of the way then...OK, because it's a running gag...

For Christmas, Santa judged me worthy enough to get some baseball cards for Christmas.  Therefore, a Fairfield Sports Chicago Fan Box found it's way into my stocking:


I've seen these $12 boxes at Target for a while and even thought about picking one up to see who'd I get.  I mean, look at the box...Soriano and Dawson!  The sides of the box (not pictured) have even more stars...Billy Williams!  Fergie Jenkins!  Ernie Banks!  Multi-patch cards!  It can't be that bad...right?

Anyway, with the three packs out of the way, it's time for my guaranteed memorabilia or autographed card.  The card came in a plain white envelope and was not protected.  Who'd I get, one of the aforementioned players?  Maybe it's one of the players on the sides of the box I didn't list...Chuck Klein?  Travis Wood?  Derrek Lee?  Darwin Barney?  OK fine, you all waited long enough:




#TR-GS -  Geovany Soto (front and back)

Not a horrible pull, in my opinion.  I was expecting some sort of no-longer-in-baseball prospect autograph card   The card is from the 2010 Topps T-206 set.  This one is the Piedmont back.  There are also Old Mill and Polar Bear versions, but I don't know the difference.

I also lucked out and got one of them fancy uniform cards with a stripe on them.  I know about the memorabilia controversy and that this very well may not even be a piece from a baseball uniform, but hey, it's my first striped something, so that's cool with me.

Anyway, that's the card.  Anyone see a similar Fairfield set in his or her neck of the woods?  I'd be interested to see if there are sets outside of the major markets.  More later...thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Twitch said...

Not too bad! I've picked up a couple of these too. I'd rate your Geo above the Derrek Lee UDX relic I pulled because it looks so much better, but below the Goudey Billy Williams relic I pulled because holy cow someone actually put a Hall of Famer in a repack box once. I'm gonna tell my grandkids about that one day... I, uh, might need to get some better stories by then.

Fuji said...

I went to Target a few days ago and didn't see any San Francisco, Oakland, or Bay Area editions. However... for $12, I'd probably pick one up.