Monday, April 02, 2012

2011 Topps Update Baseball Wal-Mart Blue Border Blaster Pack

Continuing my 2011 Topps Update offerings, we have the retail exclusive packs. Each specially marked blaster (and make sure you find the specially marked ones, because some are not) you'll find two packs of exclusive parallels.
The packs are unassuming and don't let on, but inside you'll find colored borders you can find no where else. This is the Wal-Mart pack, which went with an Easter blue look.
US271 - Eric O'Flaherty - I can't say I know who this is. Of course, with players in Update, that's not uncommon.
US115 - Kerry Wood - I know who this guy is! I think this came in the same blaster as the Anniversary sparkly. Not a bad purchase from the player collection standpoint. Only 5 more parallels to go!
US129 - Brooks Conrad - Another Brave. I really have a knack for finding Braves cards.
US239 - J.J. Hardy - He looks just as thrilled with the border choice as I am.
US256 - Mark Kotsay - Diamond Anniversary Parallel - Even the diamond effect can't make this picture exciting.
US202 - Derrek Lee - I really liked Derrek on the Cubs. It's a shame he couldn't have finished his career with us, but I don't think he would have made the Theo/Hoyer cut if he hadn't been traded.
US59 - Matt Kemp - The All-Star cards are your best bets at finding good players. I don't like it when they just use their normal team uniforms for the All-Star games. What's wrong with an NL and AL look?
US163 - Adrian Beltre - Speaking of AL All-Stars. Take a knee, Beltre. We're done here.

I don't know why Wal-Mart decided to go for the Opening Day light blue borders with Update when the rest of 2011 was the tried and true black background format. I don't like it, especially for it's similiarity to Opening Day. Still, I walked away with the Kerry Wood, so I guess it's not all bad.

1 comment:

Dawgbones said...

IMHO, I don't think the blues do as much justice to the cards that the Target Reds do. I think they need a darker blue, especially since this blue is the same that they use on the OD parallels.