Monday, June 08, 2009

1981 Fleer Baseball


This is one of the worst (if not the worst) packs I've ever gotten. No superstars and just a few guys who are even close to above average.


#415 Damaso Garcia, #507 Gorman Thomas
#284 Bruce Kison, #77 Randy Niemann

#410 Otto Velez, #623 Pat Corrales

#410 Otto Velez (again???? what's this???), #237 Glenn Hoffman
#135 Mickey Hatcher, #541 Terry Kennedy

#612 Kim Allen, #431 Bob Mattick

#146 Larry Parrish, #537 Bob Forsch


#606 Leon Roberts, #378 Grant Jackson

#648 Mets/White Sox Checklist (with obligatory stuck-on gum)



Here is an example of the back of a card. They're easy to read, but kind of bland.

Two managers (ugh)
One checklist (ugh)
One Dodger (ugh)
No Giants, Phillies, or Reds (ugh)
No stars (ugh)

4 comments:

Jeffrey Wolfe said...

It depends on what you mean by worst. I would have been thrilled with this pack. I love '81 Fleer because I think the design and photography was much better than Topps (certainly Donruss) and I love the old uniforms.

night owl said...

This was a great pack! (Except for the Velez repeats. I opened a ton of '81 Fleer, I don't ever remember getting two of the same card in a pack).

Any pack with Gorman Thomas is a good one. Grant Jackson was a favorite, too. And I don't even need to say why I'd like the Hatcher card.

Ben said...

That gum looks like deli sliced ham after it's been sitting out for a few days.

Todd Uncommon said...

Any pack where Gorman Thomas is the lone highlight is a tough pack. At least he was a fixture of the Harvey's Wallbangers of the early 80s Brewers.