Sunday, July 18, 2010

2010 Topps WWE Rumble Pack

Greetings fellow card collectors! This is my very first post here @ A Pack To Be Named Later so let me introduce myself before we get into ripping the pack open.

My name is Colbey, but I use the handle 'flywheels' online. If you're wondering what a flywheels is it's an old Transformer toy. While card collecting was my first hobby, Transformers got me back into collecting in general which led to the discovery of the internet (what year was that?) and eventually back into card collecting. I started my own blog called Cardboard Collections in January of this year in hopes of finally doing something more with cards - especially the stacks and stacks of cards I didn't want. First and foremost I'm a Atlanta Braves and Carolina Panthers collector, but I have tried my hand at some set building this year. My interests are varied so you may see me post some non-sports packs here in the future. Now, onto ripping that pack...
Photobucket

Today I have a 2010 Topps WWE Rumble Pack. I knew nothing of this set beforehand and since it was only $1.99 I grabbed one to see what it was all about. You should be able to tell by the inserts listed on the front of the pack that it's aimed at a slightly younger audience with thumb-wrestling tattoos, finger puppets and glow-in-the-dark cards.

Photobucket

Here are the first 3 base cards from the set. From top left to right we have Ted DiBiase, son of the WWE Hall of Famer "the Million Dollar Man". It's a bright design meshing yellow with a lime green bar across the card where the name appears. The blue star in the background helps break up the yellow. It isn't the best design, but I can see how the bright colors would appeal to younger kids. The next card is of Carlito. "I spit in the face of people who don't want to be cool" - yeah, that big haired Caribbean guy. The guy isn't even with the WWE now as of May 2010. Next. The bottom card is a checklist. The 6 wrestlers you see just about make up the meager 50 card set.

Photobucket

Our first insert, a pop-up of John Cena...WWE's resident heart throb judging by all the screaming girls sitting behind me at the last RAW show I attended. We've seen this gimmick used before with baseball cards so nothing new here.

Photobucket

The 5th card of the pack is a sticker of the Undertaker. A cartoon-ish looking Undertaker? Holding a scythe? Yeah, this product is definitely aimed at kids. Card is #7 of 30.

Photobucket

Flip the sticker card over and it appears we have a yellow bordered puzzle a la Garbage Pail Kids. The big bald guy looks like Kain while the other scrub is CM Punk.

Photobucket

The 6th and final card of the pack is another sticker - this time of the "Viper" Randy Orton, #27 of 30.

Photobucket

Instead of a puzzle piece on the back like we got with the Undertaker's card we have a bio for Randy Orton. Viper, vicious Superstar, RKO, head punt, blah blah blah. We at least some effort was put into the back.

So there you have it. It appears that each pack yields 3-4 base cards and 2 stickers. It's a small set so I would imagine it would be easy to piece together. The insert odds are basically 1:4 packs so my guess is you would get one insert per pack. Thanks for reading and stay tuned for the next rip...

No comments: