Sunday, May 24, 2009

1985 Topps The Goonies


In order to capitalize on the success of Cyndi Lauper in the 80's, Warner Bros created "The Goonies." And, in order to help push sales of the (HOF!) Topps Cyndi Lauper cards, Topps created trading cards based on the movie. It's a match made in... well, you know...



I kinda remember seeing this movie on HBO or something. Back in the day, I was a huge Cory Feldman fan. That had more to do with his Michael Jackson routine in "Dream a Little Dream" more than anything else, really. Yes, I am a Wacko Jacko fan. Well, no that isn't right. I love his music and dancing, the rest can be kept in the closet. I digress...



The only real memory I have of the movie is the big ugly guy - Sloth. And he reminds me of the twins in "Nothing But Trouble." Now, THERE'S a movie that needed a card set. Heck maybe there is one for all I know. Again, I digress.



I'm pretty sure I've seen the chubby kid in other things, but specifics escape me. Yes, a quick search on imdb would yield wondrous results, I'm sure. By now, you realize that is not my thing. If it's your thing, have at it.



You recognize this kid right? Not from this movie, but rather from a movie starring a ruffian-with-a-heart-of-gold space smuggler... Oh wait, that's not right... Han Solo had to wield a leather whip for the movie with this kid in it. Are you with me? Did you already know? Yeah, Indiana Jones... For those who weren't sure until I just said that, thank you. It took me that long too, so don't feel too bad.



I don't know enough about the movie to even comment here...



Each pack has 10 cards and a sticker. That octopus-looking thing is the sticker that came in my pack. Yay me.

4 comments:

madding said...

There's a lot of Goonies fans around here. I guess it's because it was filmed and set in Astoria, Oregon. The Oregon coast is pretty awesome, but I never romanticized the movie like some people have. Oddly enough, I recently saw a woman who looked a lot like Sloth. That was really frightening, considering that you figure that Sloth was mostly constructed from make-up.

--David said...

Now, that IS scary....

Todd Uncommon said...

That is perhaps the best random sticker I have ever seen pulled from a pack. Topps could even recycle the image if they wanted to make a "Night in the Museum 2" set of cards.

That was former Oakland Raider John Matuszak in that Sloth outfit, surprisingly enough.

I also had a serious crush on Kerri Green at the time, with both this movie and "Lucas".

flywheels said...

That blonde chick w/ glasses in the movie is the mom in Fox's new comedy "Raising Hope"...it took me forever to make the connection!

I seriously love these cards. I gotta track down this set now.