Saturday, May 23, 2009

1985 Topps Rocky IV


Well, my original plan was to follow in the footsteps of my Cyndi Lauper post and make up some words to the Rocky theme. Problem is I can't anyone that has translated the intro music to bah-dah-dah, bah-dah-duhhh... So, you'll just have to suffer through my ramblings instead....


I don't really remember much about Rocky IV. I vaguely remember the Vanilla Ice-looking opponent, though without the cards, I would not have remembered he was in IV and not some other iteration.


The boxing glove-shaped sticker is a nice touch. Were they all right-handed gloves? I'm just curious. And is it just me, or does Rocky look like he is sporting a halter top in that other card? That's just too weird.


Is it always snowy in Russia? I think every movie I have ever seen with Russia in it depicts it as icy and snow-covered. Of course, that could be good old American propaganda at work. There's a word vocabulary for all you middle-school history students out there.


I can't even come up with the words to say about these two cards. I start to formulate something, but then, um, uh, no...


Is it me, or does Drago look a bit photoshopped in on that left card? That is a very weird image there... Then again, this *IS* "Rocky 5....THOUSAND!" Oh, sorry, I mean Rocky IV.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always wondered if Paulie ever made a move on that robot they gave him. You know what I mean...

Todd Uncommon said...

Nice Spaceballs reference!

I wonder if you get the whole set of cards and flip them like an animation booklet, you get a Rocky "exclusive" training montage, just like the movie!

Also, it's the movie that brought Danish amazon Brigitte Nielsen to what passes for prominence (since nobody saw Red Sonja).

I wonder if a card of her in this set would be considered her "rookie"...